Saturday 12 August 2017

The Runner's Friend

Found myself out running late last night; it was deep twilight as I ran along the cycle track with a following wind, making a decent pace for a change; I ended up doing about 25.30 for the 5km.

What may have helped was having a pacemaker. As I approached the railway station, I noticed that I was being raced by a small, low slung entity about 10 metres ahead of me.

I've never seen a hedgehog run so fast - it took me a few seconds to catch up with it! Specimen in good nick too.

Always pleased to see them about, safe away from roads.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 12.08.17



8 comments:

  1. They are become much rarer. I put down cat food for our two farm cats in the hay barn and often when I go in there are hedgehogs eating it. It is good to see them tucking in and building up their strength for their hibernation. On the day I found the kittens I walked down the lane later and within a hundred yards of one another I found two young dead hedgehogs killed on the road. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect we may have a hedgehog (at last!) in our garden - the poo could be hedgehog poo. The dish of cat food I leave out regularly gets eaten - but we also have some greedy cats on our road. I really hope it's a hedgehog as we've made the garden a haven for wildlife and they'd have a 5☆ home with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo.. we put food out for our hedgehog visitors, I must pop out one evening and see if I can spot them and take a photo. We have seen several come to a horrible end on the road near us.. so sad as they are in decline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely to see one, a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! Luckily, lots of gaps in the fences in my area for them to get about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is surprising how fast they can move on those little legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see the hedgehog - yes they can get a move on when they want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how lovely to be joined by a hedgehog!

    ReplyDelete