Monday 21 May 2018

Mr and Mrs Goose

So, a day off from sporting activity and sheesh does my body need it - I am absolutely achey and stiff after two days cricket. So today has been about enjoying the good weather, and having a walk to see what was out in it.

I trotted around the cemetery, looking at how everything looks lovely in its last coating of wildflowers before the cut is made; buttercup and meadow saxifrage are the dominant species at the moment, the last flowers to lord it over the city of the dead.

The yellow flowers whose name I can't remember are out. The alternative name is "Herb Somebody or Other" but I can't remember the moniker concerned. Rubbish.

Ragged robin has now emerged, those frail looking flowers are so hard to focus on and photograph! But to get to them, I had to get past Mr and Mrs Goose on the cycle path.

Mr and Mrs Goose have three goslings, and instead of being in the water, are next to the cycle path and giving anyone who wants to get past a jolly good hissing at, as well as being lunged at.

They reminded me of cousin Robert's savage Muscovy of my childhood.

However, unlike my grandfather, I got past without having my leg mauled.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 21.05.18










8 comments:

  1. The goslings are adorable! I saw the first ducklings on Sunday. They were goldeneyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon, are you referring to the Pink "not Yellow" flowers of Herb Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The goslings are lovely and as always I love seeing all your wild flower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of old soldiers stood guard over my car on a pub car park the other day. Greylags. Maybe they could smell my dirty laundry in the back and my sweaty running shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As kids we called the blue flowers 'bird's eye' but don't know its real name.
    Nice photos of Mr and Mrs with baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all, no I know of Herb Robert, this has herb somebody else as a name

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we called the blue flowers Bird's Eye Speedwell and the pink ones Herb Robert. Lovely goose pics - and I'm glad they didn't attack you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Herb Bennet? The bane of my life when the cats come in full of its seeds.

    ReplyDelete